Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers, and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
This position is responsible for performing various animal husbandry duties in conventional, immunodeficient and transgenic/knockout rodent colonies. Basic computer skills are needed for computerized record keeping in accordance with established procedures, (i.e. ViewPort system for vivarium management, animal holding room census data collection, and computerized autoclave and cage wash logs.??
1. Changing rodent cages while strictly adhering to established SOPs. Administer special diets and medicated water to rodents as required.
2. Maintaining animal rooms and other facility areas in accordance with accepted standards of sanitation. Procedures involved include washing walls, floors and shelving.
3. Monitoring rodent colonies for sick, injured or dead animals. Recording and reporting such findings in accordance with SOP.
4. Operating and maintaining laboratory animal husbandry equipment including, but not limited to, laminar flow work benches, ventilated racks, autoclaves and cage wash equipment.
5. Performing minor technical procedures on rodents without direct supervision. Technical duties may include medical treatments of rodents with minor injuries, weaning, toe and tail clipping, and euthanasia.
6. Proper preparation of hazardous or chemically treated waste and or animal carcasses for disposal.
7. Will be required to document tasks completed on Viewport Vivarium including notification of maintenance requests. Generation of online compliance reports as required.
8. Proper record keeping including room logs, health reports and autoclave records as required. This will include use of computerized data collections systems for cage census and health monitoring.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Minimum of four years of experience working in an accredited laboratory animal facility.??
AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level and 2 years experience working in an accredited animal facility is required. AS or BS and 1 year experience will be considered with ALAT certification.
Four years of experience in a vivarium is preferred.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong.?? As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff.?? Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to under-served members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.